I want your feed back.

Educating young people about wild fish… It needs to be done.

I have been thinking allot about the fishing Industry. What I am seeing is kinda scary. The numbers of young people getting in the sport is dwindling. There seems to be a generation gap in the anglers of at least the northwest.
Looking back on my fishing Career I remember somethings like they were yesterday others I have forgotten. The early memories of fly fishing have stuck with me though my adult life the early victories and defeats. The places that fly fishing has taken me and the joy as a guide I have brought to others is huge. I have build my life around this wonderful sport. The casting, the people, my friends, the fish themselves. I want to share the experience with others not keep the ideals of this to myself and not let the stories pass like wild through desert grass.
What i am thinking of doing is giving a discounted guide rate to any person that brings a young person on the trip. This would be for both trout and steelhead trips. The age slot I was thinking was between 14 and 20. Was thinking about 50-75 dollars off for trout and 100 off for steelhead.
Let me know what you out there think. I want to at least try to get the next group of anglers started the right way.

7 replies
  1. Mike
    Mike says:

I would defintley sign up for a two day trip with my thirteen year old son. Two day summer steelhead fishing would be great. the savings would pay for the hotel rooms and some fast food. Travis he also asked me if you would bring you 15′ Carron.

2. speycaster
    speycaster says:

The 550 rate is for 2 people. Includes luches and shuttle, drinks flies and rods if needs. There is a bit of overhead to being a guide. At the same time i am open to your coments. I will see what I can do to make it better.

3. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Travis, this is a great idea….but your rates are super high as it is, and as a father, I can’t even think about taking myself on a trip with you as a guide at $550-500 a day, let alone $800-900 if you were to take $100 bucks off for me and my son. I want him to have the experience of fishing with a guide and everything that brings along, but when it’s so expensive, it isn’t even an option. Maybe there are some creative solutions for how you bring the experience to the younger generation that will be feasible for you as a guide and us as working parent anglers. Tight lines, man.

4. Travis
    Travis says:

I worry about the fish as well. the first thing we need to do is educate that next generation of anglers. With out teaching not only fly fishing(which promotes consevation) to the future of the sport we will not only have no fish but will have not stopped the ideals of killing fish. In my opion changing the ideals of consevation starts with the future not the curent or past.

5. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

I’d be a helluva lot more worried about whether the rivers have FISH in them come 20 years time than whether the fishing industry is there to make a buck off it. The idea that “rivers need friends” is true, but the path there is not via the fishing industry, it is deep and soulful, and not something you can buy into

6. Steve G
    Steve G says:

Travis, I told you becoming a parent would change your perspective! Investing in young people is a wise use of time, and so is encouraging others to do so. Your idea addresses both of these. Go for it!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Your email address will not be published.