Well as the season presses on so does my complete fuse and not to say that I rage a people, I am just saying there is only so many times I can say and try to explain some aspects of the swung fly steelhead fishing. I am now going to break down a list of the don’ts.
1. Start short! If it only takes you 3 casts to get your head length out the rod tip you don’t fish you short line effectively. I know you going to say I have never caught one on a short cast. Thats because you don’t even fish your short cast, you just start blazing line.
2. Don’t add line while the fly is swinging. I can tell you what I have seen and I have never seen a steelhead take the fly while is was coming back into his face. The best most productive way to bring a steelhead to a swung fly is to make the fly swing in a nice concentric arc as slow as you can control with out moving the fly.
3. Don’t step and add line at the same time. This one just about puts me over the edge. If you are going to take the time to fish a run do it right. If you want to fish with 10 to 15 or even 20 foot wholes in your grid be my guest I would fish behind you any day. Be prefect in your steps and if you need more line do it from the same station you made your last cast, when the desired length has been reached the start your down stream migration again
4. Mend as few times as possible through out the swing and point you rod at the end of the fly line. I could talk mending until I was blue in the face. The more correct your casting angle the less mends you make. If you mend slowly and point the rod tip down the fly line and not just flip mend bringing your rod to the same place you started your cast thus causing a bow in the line that send any honest steelheader in to a state of pissed you cant even comprehend. If it is windy and I know wind on the Deschutes just wait for the line to get where you might want it to start fishing then put the correct mend in the line just one if you can help it.
5. Last but not least, FISH THE FLY ALL THE WAY INTO THE BANK. I think you get the point on thin one.
|Nice fish, the lady does it right!|
I had to rant about something, Starting the 3rd month of steelhead season these things hang heavy on ones mind. I was not pointing any of you out but if you heard me say these thing more than 6 times in one day I might be talking about you. As a guide I only want you to become a better fisherman so thats why I am writing these things. Also if you fish clean you might hold a fish like the one above.